Do you want a better marriage? Pray for your husband. Do you want a marriage grounded on the truth of God’s Word? Pray for your husband. Do you want to grow spiritually? Pray for your husband. Praying for your husband is one of the best things you can do for him, for yourself, for your children, and for your relationship.
This post contains affiliate links, which help support this website, at no additional cost to you. For my full disclosure policy, go here.
I don’t know about you, but my prayers for my husband – especially when we were first married – tended along the lines of, “Fix him, Lord, so I can be happy.”
Thankfully, I have since learned to pray more intentionally for him! Although I confess, those “fix him” prayers sometimes still tempt me!
How to Pray for Your Husband
To be truly intentional in praying for your husband, your prayers should be grounded in the Word. Below you will find a list of 20 items to pray for, all with verses to support the need for prayer in that area. But remember, this is a starting point.
Perhaps your husband needs specific prayer in an area not covered. Add it. Perhaps he is saved already, so #1 doesn’t apply. Replace it with something that is important to him. You know your husband and his needs, therefore you can tailor your prayers to him.
When I first wrote this series on “20 Ways to Pray,” my intention was to give grace while covering a lot of praying during one month. However, you may wish to use this list differently. For example, if your husband struggles with having consistent devotions and prayer time (#s 3 & 4), you may want to make those two points a focus of your prayers for two weeks each month and then pray for other items the remaining two weeks.
However you choose to use this list, I pray it will be a blessing to your prayer life, your spiritual growth, and your marriage.
Pray for Your Husband – The List
- Pray for his salvation, if he’s not a believer. This trumps everything else! 1 Timothy 2:4
- Pray for his spiritual growth. A godly man will be a godly husband. Use specific verses to pray for him. For example, pray 2 Peter 1: 5-7: For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.
- Pray for his prayer life. A vibrant prayer life probably means he’s praying for you! Who doesn’t want that? A humble but growing prayer life also means he’s drawing closer to the Lord – and that is even better! Colossians 1:9-11
- Pray for his time in the Word – that it would be protected and fruitful. A man who ignores the Word in his daily life will not be a strong believer, leader, or husband. Pray he’ll listen to and heed the voice of the Spirit as he reads the Word. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- Prayer for his role in the church. Is he a teacher? A leader of one sort or another? Does he serve in the parking lot? The nursery? Children’s ministry? Wherever he serves, pray for that ministry and his role in it. Romans 12:4-8
- Pray for opportunity and boldness to share the gospel message. Pray for yourself, also, to be a partner with him in sharing the message of Jesus. Acts 4:7-12
- Pray for his friendships. Like women, men need godly friendships to strengthen their faith. But unlike women, they don’t always like to admit it or seek out friendships. Pray that the Lord will bring the right men across his path. Proverbs 27:17
- Pray for the battle in his mind – and yes, he has one. Pray that his thoughts will all be ‘taken captive’ to the will of Christ. Pray he will not focus his mind on earthly, sensual things, but rather on heavenly matters. 2 Corinthians 10:5; Colossians 3:2
- Pray for his career. Maybe he’s stuck in a job he detests – he needs your prayers to sustain him until things change. Maybe he’s out of a job – he needs your prayers to guide him. Maybe he’s in the perfect job – he still needs your prayers to maintain the correct balance between family and work. Proverbs 10:4
- Pray for growth in his career. Men generally like a challenge. If your husband has a career where there is an opportunity for growth, pray he’ll rise to the challenge. It will be good for him to conquer some big goals. Proverbs 22:29
- Pray for his physical health – even if he seems perfectly healthy, he needs protection in this area. He may also need growth in this area. His physical health, or lack, directly affects you and your family, so pray for physical health, and healing when necessary. Proverbs 3:1-2, 8
- Pray for wisdom. He’ll need wisdom to effectively handle finances, parenting, career, and marriage along with everything else that life brings. He’ll need godly wisdom to guide him in making big decisions and small ones. Proverbs 1:7; James 1:5
- Pray for his role as a father (Ephesians 6:4). He needs to be loving, fun, firm, and approachable. He needs to be confident in letting his children know he loves them, be able to relax and play with them, but also able to lay down the law as needed. If he is not a father (yet or never), pray that he will be able to be a father-figure to young men who need a godly example to follow. Ephesians 6:4; 2 Timothy 2:2
- Pray for his relationship with his family – parents if they are still living, siblings, even extended family. How to pray in this area will largely be determined by his relationship with them and if they are saved. 1 Timothy 5:1-4
- Pray for his relationship with you. Your relationship is the foundation, after the Lord, of a steady marriage and solid home. Don’t be shy in praying about problem areas in your marriage, whether it’s parenting differences, arguments over chores, or issues in the bedroom. God knows already (Psalm 139), so bring it all to Him. Ephesians 5:22-23
- Pray for his wife – yes, YOU! Pray you’ll be the wife he needs, not the one you want him to need. Pray that you’ll be faithful in praying for him over the long haul, not just a once-and-done pray-er. Pray that you will be a faithful wife, supporting him and encouraging him, and not focused on only what you can get from him. Proverbs 12:4; 18:22; 31:10
- Pray that he will always be faithful to his marriage vows and you. While you’re at it, pray that you’ll be faithful to him. There will always be temptations for spouses to stray; protect your marriage with prayer. Proverbs 6:20-35
- Pray for unity in your marriage. Unity does not mean uniformity – he doesn’t have to be exactly like you – but it does mean that you agree on the things that are most important. Ephesians 4:1-3
- Pray for your sex life. I’ve heard it said that the devil does all he can to get you into bed together before you’re married, and everything he can to keep you out of bed after you’re married. Intimacy in marriage is vital to a healthy relationship, so pray for it. 1 Corinthians 7:1-4; Hebrews 13:4
- Pray for the unknown future. None of us knows what the future will hold, but we know who holds the future. A cliché? Yes, but true nonetheless. Pray that the future for both of you would be in following Jesus closely. James 4:13-15
From my engagement to grandmotherhood, I have had people remind me how important it is to pray for my husband. Some of those reminders came in the form of books I read. Some came from sermons I heard. Some came from friends who prayed with me.
But the consistent message was the same: pray and never stop. God can do miracles! My marriage and my husband are a testimony to the truth.
Does that mean that I never missed a day of praying for him? Hardly! In fact, I’ve sometimes missed entire weeks of praying for him. But, I always repented of my prayerlessness and got on my knees again. It doesn’t matter if you’re a newlywed or a grandmother, married one week or 50 years, if you’ve prayed faithfully for decades or never – wherever you are right now, you can start praying intentionally for your husband today. It’s never too late – it’s never too early!
While you can still get the entire set of 20 Ways to Pray ebook, I am in the process of updating all the related posts and the printables. Check back frequently to the Treasure Trove of Faith Freebies to download each updated list as it’s done. I will also notify everyone on my email list when the entire set is finished.