I wrote recently about doing topical Bible studies. I love topical studies. One thing I like: they give a thorough overview of God’s thoughts on a particular topic throughout Scripture. But one thing I don’t like: doing the searching for relevant passages. Some of you may feel the same. So, I’ve decided to take some of the work away, by compiling scriptures on various topics. My first topic of the month is Freedom. I thought it was appropriate for July in America!
I have compiled 31 verses that relate to freedom, liberty, captives, and prisoners. If you get stuck on why I included a certain verse, you can always contact me. However, I think they will be self-explanatory.
I plan to offer a new topical study each month. I also plan to have each month’s study contain 31 verses. You can use this topical study in various ways:
- You might want to use it in your devotional time. You could write the verse(s) out and then write your thoughts and application of the verse(s) to your life. The 31-day format would work perfectly for this.
- You could spend every weekend of a month doing just some of the verses in the same manner. This way you could follow a printed devotional or another plan from Monday to Friday, and still get some study time in on Saturday and Sunday.
- You could use the verses provided to create a lesson plan for Bible study or Sunday School. By the time a year has passed, you’ll have a supply of 12 topics that you could teach at a moment’s notice.
- You could have your children write the verses as in #1 and illustrate the meaning of the verse. Older children and teens can certainly write about their thoughts and applications.
- You could read a passage a day at the dinner table and discuss the meaning and application of God’s Word.
You might be able to think of more ideas for using the topical guide. Just getting into the Word any way possible is good.
Hope you enjoy your freedom in Christ!